Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Debate..

Drew and I finally went to our first debate tournament together. The tournament was at Lewis and Clark University in Portland, Oregon. The best way I can describe it would be to call it a learning experience. Drew and his partner Jordan did amazing. They made it into the bracket for quarter final rounds. They were the only team to make it past the preliminary rounds. I am so proud of them. Drew also won first place with his informative speech. He is doing amazing in debate and speech, I am so proud of him.

My original partner this weekend couldn't actually make it, so the coach put me with Randi. We were both told this as we got on the bus to head to Portland. Needless to say, we were both a little shocked. We had never even spoken to each other. Randi hadn't even expected to debate that weekend! As we got to know each other it was great, I was excited to be with a partner who wanted to have fun more than anything else. She wasn't so worried about us not winning, and just wanted to learn and enjoy debate. I am so happy now that I had the chance to debate with her, she made this weekend lots of fun. And we even were relatively successful. We were only about four or five speaker points away from breaking into the octa finals round. We won exactly half our rounds, and considering I haven't done debate in a few years and this is Randi's first time ever doing debate, I wouldn't say it was too bad.

We left for the tournament on Thursday and didn't get back to Boise until Monday. It was a really long weekend! When we finally got into town it was amazing to be able to go back to our own apartment. Drew and I were talking last night (when we got home) about how this apartment really has become our home now. We love it and I think that the reason we have made it a home is because so much love is in that house. Especially when we're there together. It's an amazing feeling to have somewhere you can be and feel safe and loved.

Anyway, things are still going great and I can't wait for the beginning of November when we get to go to Idaho Falls to see family and friends. My parents and two sisters are thinking about coming up this weekend. I really hope they do, I would love to see all of them! It's amazing how much you can actually miss your family! I can't wait to see everyone, hopefully it is really soon...

1 comment:

Heather@Women in the Scriptures said...

Congrats on the tournament! I'm so glad that it was a good experience. It sounds like you guys had fun. Isn't it funny how someplace can start to feel like home so fast. I was thinking the same thoughts as we were coming back from SLC last night (we went to go see Into the Woods). But I think you are right, it is the person who makes it home and not the stuff.