Friday, October 31, 2008

Halloween...Not just for kids

Halloween has always been one of my favorite holidays. Everyone gets dressed up, and goes around to houses getting candy. What can be better than that?! And then I grew up...

Not to sound disillusioned, I still love the costumes and the festivities, but it's just not as much fun if you don't have something to do, such as a party or having friends over, or have kids around to dress up and get ready. I have always loved helping my sisters get ready for Halloween. I especially love playing with the makeup. It's just weird because no one in our neighborhood has any decorations up. That has NEVER happened at my house. My family, especially my mom, loves to put up the decorations. And in the neighborhood I grew up in, every family decorated pumpkins, or put up decorations. It almost doesn't feel like Halloween without decorations. And of course, Drew and I don't actually own any decorations. It's sad to realize that I have to grow up. So the question is: How am I going to spend my Halloween?

In true just married with no kids or decorations fashion, we are going out to dinner and a movie. Is it sad that this is what we chose to do on Halloween, probably a little bit, but it is one of the only "real" dates we've had time to have in I don't know how long. I guess we finally had to have a holiday to have an excuse to do something.

So, what this all comes down to is this: I am going to be so excited when I have kids to celebrate Halloween with. I love costumes and candy, and I'm sure my kids will too! (Honestly, who doesn't). So yes, Halloween is a holiday for the young at heart, but who ever said we have to grow up?

1 comment:

Emma said...

Hello Britt - I am Emma, and I have yet to meet you. I am Drew's cousin. I found your blog on Heather's and I am so glad I did. I love Halloween too...dressing up, eating soup, and candy, and staying up late - and though it does change a bit once you get married and start having kids...don't worry you only have to grow up a little :)